Monday, November 25, 2013

My favorite video games OF ALL TIME



Hey everyone!
It's a short week at work and I'm freezing in my drafty, old church office. What better way to warm up than type stuff!
Oh wait, I do that all day anyways. Fuck it here's a list for the week. My top 10 favorite video games of all time. Obviously subject to change, but this is how it stands right now.

Yes, that's a horse playing baseball.
10. MLB Slugfest 2003 (PS2)
Holy shit guys if you haven't played a Slugfest game yet you haven't experienced a real sports game. This game is just like any other standard MLB game for the PS2, but with the added caveat of being able to catch on fire and punch other players. Getting lit on fire boosts your stats and let's you run the table, it's amazing. The real thing that makes this game great are the cheats, things like making your players horses or giving you a rubber bat for added power. This game is hours of fun.

9. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour/Super Mario Baseball (GC)
I honestly could not decide between these two games. They are both outrageously fun, and oddly enough very competitive. My junior year in college there were many a time we would settle disputes with a round of Mario Golf. Sames goes for Mario Baseball, we played the shit out of that disc. If you're looking for a game that is beyond frustrating but still gives you the tiniest bit of joy, this is the game for you!

8. Portal (Xbox)
So false you have to say it 5 times!
I'm a fan of puzzle games. I like to solve riddles and use logic to win things. This game is not only puzzle based, but it's got a great story line to boot. The progressive difficulty is scaled very well, and the game isn't that easy to begin with. Plus, the post attempted-murder plot is amazing. Remember everyone, The Cake is a Lie.
Sidenote: If you type "The cake" into Google, the first thing that comes up is "The cake is a lie."

7. Halo (Xbox)
At the time, this was the best first person shooter that existed. No game could touch Halo (looking at you CoD) in terms of story line, graphics or controls. This game sucked away so many hours of my life it almost (ALMOST) became a problem. This was also the first game (technically Halo 2) I played extensively on Xbox Live, which made for a whole new gaming experience. It revolutionized the way I went about online play, and definitely helped me realize I wasn't all that good. At least I didn't put in the hours that other people did.

6. Rock Band (Xbox)
I was one of those people who was actually good at Rock Band. I could play the guitar, bass, drums, and (to some extent) sing. The game is tons of fun when you play with buddies in your fake band, but it's also a shit ton of fun to play alone (cue in depressing music). I would actually practice the drums, sometimes for HOURS. They got so beat up, I don't think they work anymore. The most important thing of all (for me at least) wasn't just playing the game, but learning about so many different types of music that I had no previous knowledge about. It sparked a love for genres that I would probably never have listened to, and remains to this day the single largest collection of music that I enjoy.
Insta- what now?

5. Pokemon Snap! (N64)
Holy shit this game is amazing. If you're not familiar with it, the premise is you are Bill, a Pokemon photographer. Professor Oak sends you to various locations and asks you to take pictures of Pokemon in their natural habitats. The best thing about the game was the sheer amount of variety you had in your pictures. It was based on timing, and the faster your shutter finger the better your picture. You could also throw apples or the newly created "pester balls" at pokemon to have them react in certain ways. This game took determination, reflexes, and forced a lot of thinking outside the box.

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
The only game I have ever played competitively, SSBM is the bane of my college video game existence. I have logged more hours into this game than any other (save from my #1 on this list), and I regret none of it. The absolute size of this games meta is staggering, and yet you get the desire to learn it all. I've never seen my skill improve so drastically in a single game than how I improved in SSBM. The release of Brawl only made me appreciate the complexity and entertainment of this game even more. Money match anyone?

3. Golden Sun (GBA)
There are so many good things to say about this game, and the series overall. Firstly, Camelot created a masterful world. Although graphically the game isn't breathtaking, the plot and setting for these characters is incredible. In my opinion, it's almost novel-worthy. Oh wait, fan-fiction exists: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1368604/. Well that's hardly surprising.
The game play is incredibly simple, much like most RPG's, and involves a breadth of abilities and classes that leave almost nothing up to the imagination. I've spent hours tinkering with the various Djinni combinations to create my perfect characters. Then I found the internet and saw it was all done for me. No regrets!

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Hey! Listen! I help you beat the game!
Last summer I splurged (a whole $30!) and bought myself an N64. Boy do I love Craigslist. I dug up some of my old games, and lo and behold Ocarina of Time called my name. I slapped that baby in, turned it on...and realized I never beat the game. I even had the strategy guide! Determined, I picked up where 12 year old me left off and promptly ran through all the dungeons. In my re-playing I remembered how absolutely amazing this game was. Sure, it pales in comparison to the graphics we have now. Twilight Princess was pretty graphically sophisticated, but in the 15 minutes I played Ocarina of Time I had 9001X as much fun as I had beating Twilight Princess. Combining nostalgia, creative puzzle solving, awesome boss battles, and the awesome feeling of finding scarecrow's song*, this game is one of the best.

* This: http://zeldawiki.org/Scarecrow's_Song is what I'm referring to here. I wrote down the song I made up around 10 years ago, FOUND IT 10 YEARS LATER and played it like a boss. SO HAPPY.

1. The Pokemon series (GB/A, NDS)
I fully admit it, I still play Pokemon. In fact, I just recently beat the E4 in Pokemon X, the newest game to come out in the series. Ever since I was a kid this game has fascinated me. Unlike most people who see their attraction decrease over time, mine has only increased. The competitive battling scene is full of meta, well thought out strategy and lots of preparation. It takes time and patience, something that I love to pour effort into. And the whole story of the series gets better with more and more conspiracy theories popping up, adding to the extensive timeline and back story that exists. I can safely say I will never enjoy a game more than Pokemon, I will never log as many hours in any other game as I have in this series, and I will probably never play another game at such a highly competitive level. Except for maybe Pokemon Stadium Minigames. Those are the shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment